Software Developer (Part-Time)
October 2019 - March 2020 | Remote
From October 2019 to March 2020, I worked remotely part-time while taking classes at UBC on Sumus’s investment management platform, called the Sumus Portal, and a tool for generating presentation decks based on data collected by the team, called the Sumus Pitcher.
# Sumus Portal
The Sumus Portal is a Node, React+Redux, and MongoDB project. My contributions include:
- automating our entire deployment workflow with automated updates and easy-to-deploy branch previews for very little cost with Google App Engine, greatly increasing our development velocity (blog post)
- revamping our transaction handling logic and storage format for reproducibility, improved record keeping, and robust versioning capabilities, enabling simpler and more insightful queries on financial data
- developing new interactive elements in the Portal, such as the accounting (see above image), account management, and transactions creation interface (amongst other improvements)
- modernised the codebase with improved tooling, sandbox environments, tests, continuous integration, and more
# Sumus Pitcher
The Sumus Pitcher is a Typescript-based Figma plugin. The project is currently a work in progress. My contributions include:
- leading on the design and implementation of the tool by integrating with the Figma plugin API and developing a robust, flexible, and extensible framework for working within its constraints (including features like simple-to-use interfaces to allow definitions of new templates, an easy-to-use format for declaring asset dependencies, and more)
- automating report generation by programmatically interacting with the Figma component tree
- developing integrations with Wordpress to source data for generated reports
- generating maps using the Mapbox API and Google Maps Places API
See my blog post for a brief writeup of some of my work on this project!
# About Sumus Property Group
Sumus is a property investment and development firm based out of Lethbridge, Alberta in Canada.